On behalf of the Australia Coordination Board, the organising committee of the Short Term Theological Training Course (STTTC) and National Working Youths Seminar (NWYS) in Melbourne would like to extend its warmest welcome to all participants. This year’s venue is at
St Joseph’s Baulkham Hills, 33 Barina Downs Road, Baulkham Hills NSW 2153.
The STTTC and NWYS aim to provide you the participant with a spiritually disciplined atmosphere in which to pray and study the word of God and in which there is quietness to reflect on your spiritual life. To achieve these aims and to make your stay here pleasant, fruitful and memorable, we would like to draw your attention to the Charter of Duty.
The Charter of Duty is an expression of our responsibilities to each other as participants and organisers of the STTTC and NWYS as well as to the glory of God. As course organisers, we will do our best to fulfil our responsibilities to participants. If you have any problems or questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Course Coordinator or any other worker on site. The list of names of these workers will be on the notice board.
In return, the organising committee expects participants to meet their responsibilities to it, themselves and others. Failing to meet these responsibilities may compromise the aim of the STTTC/ NWYS, and may result in disciplinary action.
Following the Charter of Duty, more information is provided to elaborate the more practical aspects of fulfilling responsibilities outlined in the Charter of Duty.
By simply meeting these responsibilities, you will not only be contributing to the successful running of the STTTC 2019/2020 and NWYS, but also to your own spiritual life and growth.
Our Duty to You: Housekeeping & Security
- Upon registration your valuables (including mobile phones for STTTC participants) must be handed over to the registrar for safekeeping. Valuables are not to be kept in bedrooms. STTTC participants are not permitted to use their mobile phones until after the course. For emergency use, please speak to the Course Coordinator. Parents will be provided with emergency mobile contact numbers. NWYS participants may use their mobiles during lunch or dinner and discreetly so, that is in a manner that does not disrupt either the NWYS or STTTC (The disciplinarians will approach indiscreet users). All participants are not permitted to use the in-house phones located in each dormitory room. Any use will be payable by the participant and constitute as a warning for breach of conduct.
- Participants cannot leave the premises of St Joseph’s Baulkham Hills at any time except with prior permission from the Course Coordinator. The outlined perimeter of said premises will be provided in a site map upon your arrival. Do not wander out into the adjoining streets or into the bush outside of the center.
Your Duty to Us: Rosters & Attendance
- Timetable and rosters are to be strictly adhered to.
- Participants are required to bring their own Bible and hymn book. STTTC students are to note that tablets and other electronic devices used as a Bible or hymn book will not be permitted. If you do not have a version of the new hymn book, you may borrow the local church’s copies.
- Students must attend all lectures, discussion sessions, counseling sessions, services, prayer and exercise sessions as scheduled.
- Should there be a need to change your schedule of attendance in the course, please inform the Course Coordinator.
- No games or sports should be played except as approved by the Course Coordinator. No student should play at the table tennis table or billiard table. The swimming pool is out of bounds to all students.
Your Duty to Yourselves: Time and Space for Rest & Study
- Bedtime is at 11:00pm. No talking is allowed after this time. The first wake-up call will be 6:00 am. The second wake-up call will be at 6:30 am.
- Dormitories are to be kept private – brothers are not permitted to enter sisters’ rooms and vice versa. Not maintaining the privacy between bedrooms may result in disciplinary measures. Participants are not to wander around or access any stairways after 11:00 pm. In the event of an emergency after bedtime, locate the dormitory leader on your floor.
- Students are not allowed to change rooms without the approval or instructions of the Course Coordinator. If you have any concerns, let the Course Coordinator know.
- Dormitories must be kept tidy at all times. Eating is not permitted in bedrooms or classrooms. Avoid making noise in the corridors, stairwells or other communal areas of the facilities.
- Personal music players, electronic game devices or card games are NOT permitted throughout the duration of the course.
- STTTC participants are not permitted to use in-room internet access without permission. Any use without permission will be payable by the participant and constitute as a warning for breach of conduct.
- STTTC and NWYS are not permitted to switch on in-room TV. Switching on TV will constitute as a warning for breach of conduct.
- Cameras are not to be used during sessions, including exercise sessions. Their use is to be sparing and discreet until after the STTTC / NWYS is over (Disciplinarians will approach the indiscreet user).
Your Duty to Everyone: Considerate Behavior
- Practical jokes and coarse jesting are prohibited at all times. Be courteous and considerate; treat others as you would have them treat yourself.
- Proper attire is to be worn at all times. No sleeveless tops or shirts, shorts or short skirts, flip flops, low rise pants or skirts, tight fitting clothes and low neckline. Sisters’ skirts or dresses must be below knee. Clothing of transparent or see-through materials are not to be worn. Loud and unnatural hair colour, wild hairstyles, loud earrings or jewellery are discouraged on part of sisters and not allowed on part of brothers. Brothers must not wear ear rings and studs. All clothing must be gender appropriate. Proper shoes are to be worn during classes / sessions and meal times. No thongs are allowed during all sessions, including meal times in the dining area. Subculture fashions will not be permitted e.g. gothic, emo, grunge, gender bending.
- All students are to attend to their hair before the course. Sisters who have long hair should use ties and bands to hold their hair neatly in place. Brothers’ hair length should not exceed the collar when a shirt is worn. Haircuts for brothers will be arranged as soon as is practicable should brothers turn up with unruly and unkempt hair.
- Cleanliness, including personal hygiene, is to be maintained at all times. Clean up after using the main lecture hall, private study area or living areas. Students must wash their clothes regularly and not allow them to pile up in their rooms.
- The consumption of illicit drugs, alcohol and tobacco are strictly prohibited. Violation of this rule will result in immediate expulsion.
- Participants are not to purchase drinks and food in the premises.
- Close and intimate fraternization between the genders will result in immediate and uncompromising dismissal. All interaction between students will be in groups and to remain holy.
- Respect and common courtesies for all church workers, students, workers, youth camp staffs are expected at all times.
- Be considerate to the comfort, convenience and safety of your brethren.
- Students are also required to respect the property of the St Joseph’s Baulkham Hills.
Mechanism of Dismissal or Expulsion
- This mechanism will be triggered for serial offenders who show no respect for rules and regulations and who disrupt the godly atmosphere of the STTTC.
- Three warnings will be given by the disciplinarians.
- The student will then be approached by the Course Coordinator.
- The Course Coordinator will then report the student to his/ her parents and inform the parents that the student will be sent home.
- If the Course Coordinator/ETD deems it appropriate to consider dismissal, the student will be reported to the ACB Council.
- The local church council will be notified.
- The student will then be asked to leave the STTTC and return home at his/ her own costs.
the Practical Aspects under the Charter of Duty relating to meals,
laundry, security, transportation etc. , please refer to the related
sections in the Student Information Kit, located under the "Download"
Terms and Agreement
have read and understood the objectives of the course I am to register
I understood and accepted my responsibilities listed in the Charter